Summer Fun Without the Waste
Summer vibes have arrived. There’s no better time to keep the environment in mind.
Follow these tips to have a less wasteful summer:
- Bring a reusable water bottle instead of buying bottled water. Many parks now even offer refilling stations.
- Pack snacks in reusable packaging. Skip the plastic zip-top bags.
- Look for the park’s trash and recycling receptacles. Some parks may not recycle, so be prepared to take bottles and cans with you to recycle back home.
- Invest in a reusable cooler. Styrofoam coolers cannot be recycled in CVWMA recycling programs.
- Keep aerosol sunscreen and insect repellant cans out of your recycling. Dispose of these at local household hazardous waste collection events.
- Repair broken or tattered camping gear instead of buying new.
- Do your shopping at local farmers markets. Don’t forget your reusable shopping bags!
- Skip single-use plastics. These cannot be recycled in residential recycling. Choose reusable cutlery, plates and cups instead.
- Go even further! Participate in Plastic-Free July.
- Remind guests that you recycle. Provide easy access to a recycling container.
- Compost vegetable and fruit scraps. Paper towels, napkins and plates could also be composted.
- Keep propane gas cylinders out of your residential recycling.
Kids: Become a Recycling Steward
Summer’s the perfect time to earn the CVWMA Recycling Steward Patch! It’s available to all youths in the region. Read the requirements and how to submit for the patch.
All of us at CVWMA wish you a wonderful summer!