The city provides each single-family home with one trash cart for weekly trash collection. Residents who need to rent an additional cart must first contact the Hopewell Department of Public Works. The rental fee is $58 and must be paid to the city.
Trash is collected on Monday or Tuesday, depending on address. Downtown addresses are collected on Thursday. Trash must be placed for collection by 7 a.m. on collection day.
Enter your address in the CVWMA online tool to view your collection day.
For questions not addressed by the information below, please call the CVWMA at 804-340-0900 or email email@example.com for assistance.
Trash Collection Guidelines
Each owner occupied address is provided one CVWMA cart for use. No personal cans will be collected.
Trash must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on the scheduled collection day.
Containers should be placed with handles facing the home.
Containers should be 5 feet away from any vehicle or mailbox and at least 2 feet of space between multiple containers.
Place extra trash in tied trash bags next to the cart for collection. No loose trash. Do not place trash on top of cart.
Motor oil, anti-freeze, and hazardous wastes are not accepted.
- Construction waste (such as lumber, wire, sheetrock, concrete, etc.) generated during construction, remodeling, or repair of pavements, house, or other structure are not accepted.
BRUSH and YARD WASTE
- Prunings, grass clippings, weeds, leaves, brush, and general yard and garden wastes must be bagged and securely tied together or bundled.
- Bundled brush will be collected. Brush must be tied in bundles less than four feet in length and weighing less than 75 pounds.
- Bagged leaves will be collected year round.
- A limited amount of bulk waste such as furniture and appliances will be collected from the curb on normally scheduled refuse collection days. Bulk items placed at the curb must not exceed the capacity of a 1/2 ton pickup truck and whose dimensions do not exceed 6 feet long, 4 feet deep and 4 feet high.
- Residents may use the Citizen’s Convenience Center at 507 Station St. to dispose of large amounts of debris for a fee.
- Appliances containing Freon (CFC/HCFC gases) will be picked up provided the resident pays the gas removal fee to the City Treasurer and attaches the receipt to the appliance.
- If possible, call ahead to schedule bulky waste collection: 804-425-0500.
Holiday Collection Schedule
See the holiday collection schedule.