Meridian Waste is the trash collection service provider for the City of Hopewell.
The City provides each owner occupied resident one trash cart for weekly residential trash collection service. All rental property must purchase their trash cart. If additional cart is needed a resident will need to contact the City’s Public Works Department. Each additional cart or rental cart is $58 and must be paid up front before delivery. Cart(s) need to be placed at the curb by 7 am on your normal collection day.
For questions not addressed by the information below, please call the CVWMA at (804) 425-0500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Trash Collection Guidelines
Please follow these guidelines for proper and efficient trash collection.
Each owner occupied address is provided one CVWMA cart for use. No personal cans will be collected.
Trash must be at the curb by 7:00 am on the scheduled collection day.
Container should have handles facing house with the front of the cart facing the street.
Container should be 5 feet away from any car or mailbox and at least 2 feet of space between multiple containers.
Place extra trash in tied trash bags next to the cart for collection. No loose trash. Do not place trash on top of cart.
Motor oil, anti-freeze, and hazardous wastes will not be accepted.
- Construction waste (such as lumber, wire, sheetrock, concrete, etc) generated during construction, remodeling, or repair of pavements, house, or other structure are not accepted.
BRUSH and YARD WASTE
- Prunings, grass clippings, weeds, leaves, brush, and general yard and garden wastes must be bagged and securely tied together or bundled.
- Bundled brush will be collected. Brush must be tied in bundles less than four feet in length and weighing less than 75 pounds.
- Bagged leaves will be collected year round.
- A limited amount of bulk waste such as furniture and appliances will be collected from the curb on normally scheduled refuse collection days. Bulk items placed at the curb must not exceed the capacity of a 1/2 ton pickup truck and whose dimensions do not exceed 6’L x 4″W x 4′ H.
- Residents may use the Convenience center to dispose of large amounts of debris for a fee.
- Appliances containing Freon (CFC/HCFC gases) will be picked up provided the resident pays the gas removal fee to the City Treasurer and attaches the receipt to the appliance.
- If possible, please call ahead the Trash Collection Hotline at (804) 425-0500 to schedule collection.
Holiday Collection Schedule
Trash will not be collected on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
When trash collection is scheduled on one of these holidays, or during the same week after the holiday, service will occur one day later (i.e. Friday service on Saturday).
Trash collection will not be affected by other holidays observed by individual local governments.
Click here for quick reference to the holidays that impact trash collection service.