Accounting and Financial Manager (Full-Time)
Hiring Range: $62,000-$68,000
Location: Richmond, VA
The Central Virginia Waste Management Authority (CVWMA) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Accounting and Financial Manager. CVWMA is a regional public service authority that implements recycling and solid waste management services to 13 member governments. Preferably, a successful candidate should have a background in public administration, accounting and finance, preparing financial statements, budgets and knowledge of governmental accounting or related experience. Position requires proficient computer skills, knowledge of employee benefits, and oral and written communication skills. Bachelor degree in business, accounting, finance, public administration or related field and at least three years accounting or related work experience preferred. Submit cover letter and resume to Kim Hynes at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.
General Definition of Work
Performs organization-level professional and administrative work assisting the Executive Director; coordinates and administers the Authority’s accounting and financial reporting operations and related work as required under the general direction of the Executive Director.
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Manages and performs oversight of the Authority’s finances. Maintains automated financial accounting records, prepares monthly bank reconciliations, prepares checks, EFTs, and p-card payments to contractors and vendors, records journal entries and balances all special-project accounts and subsidiary ledgers.
- Coordinates annual audit including the preparation of the annual financial statements and Annual Comprehensive Financial report (ACFR); submits ACFR to appropriate governing bodies and regulatory agencies. Presents the CAFR at Board meeting for Board approval.
- Participates in the development of the annual budget; monitors revenues and expenditures throughout the fiscal year in comparison to budget. Reports results to the Board.
- Responsible for prudently investing excess Authority funds.
- Serves as Clerk to the Authority Board of Directors; reviews and edits Board meeting minutes.
- Prepare biweekly payroll to include benefit payments, reconciliation to VRS, tracks leave balances and ensures W-2 forms have accurate information; performs risk management function for the agency.
- Assists jurisdictions with budget-related questions, Form 110 discrepancies and responds to auditor inquiries related to jurisdictions.
- Continuously streamlines processes to reduce processing costs such as electronic invoicing and p-card payments.
- Coordinates maintenance on Authority computers and office equipment.
- Generates billing invoices to jurisdictions in accordance with service agreements.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Comprehensive knowledge of general laws and administrative policies governing agency financial practices and procedures; comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices of public sector accounting; evaluates financial systems and efficiently formulate and implement accounting methods, procedures, forms and records; communicates effectively both orally and in writing; prepares informative financial reports; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with public officials, Authority Board members, associates and the general public. Conducts effective formal presentations.
Technical Skills: Microsoft Office, Abila Accounting Software, SharePoint
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with coursework in business administration, public administration, accounting or related field and 3 years of professional business, accounting experience, including financial statement preparation and analysis. Demonstrated skills with spreadsheet and accounting software systems. Governmental accounting (GASB) experience or equivalent combination of experience and training.