Weekly residential trash collection in the city is through a public/private contract with CVWMA. The current contractor is Container First Services (CFS). Trash is collected once a week on Wednesdays. The City provides each resident with a 68-gallon trash cart. Additional trash carts will be available for the purchase price of $55. To obtain a second cart, please contact the Utility Billing Office and the cost will be added to your next utility bill. Each additional cart will also result in an additional $2.00 monthly service fee.
Trash is collected each Wednesday. Place cart at the curb by 7 am on Wednesday. Normal collection hours are 7 am to 7 pm.
For questions not addressed by the information below, please call the Trash Collection Hotline at (804) 425-0500 for assistance.
Trash Collection Guidelines
Please follow these guidelines for proper and efficient trash collection.
- Each address is provided one 68- gallon burgandy cart for use. Addtional carts will be available for the purchase price of $60.00. There is a $2.10 monthly fee for each additional cart.
- Trash must be at the curb by 7:00 am on the scheduled collection day.
- Container should have handles facing house with the front of the cart facing to the street.
- Container should be 5 feet from any car or mailbox and at least 2 feet of space between multiple containers.
- Place extra trash in tied trash bags next to the cart for collection. Only trash in a burgandy cart and tied trash bags beside burgandy cart will be collected. Extra trash in personal trash cans will not be collected.
- Paints, motor oil, anti-freeze, and hazardous wastes will not be accepted. Click here for proper disposal options for these types of waste.
- Construction waste (such as lumber, wire, sheetrock, concrete, etc) generated during construction, remodeling, or repair of pavements, house or other structure are not accepted.
- The maximum weight allowed per cart shall be 200 pounds when fully loaded.
- After being emptied, trash carts should be removed from the right-of-way by 7 pm of the day following collection.
BRUSH and YARD WASTE
- Prunings, grass clippings, weeds, leaves, brush, and general yard and garden wastes must be bagged and securely tied together or bundled.
- Bundled brush will be collected. Brush must be tied in bundles less than four feet in length and weighing less than 75 pounds.
- Bagged leaves will be collected year round. The limit per collection day is 30 bags, each weighing no more than 50 pounds.
- Limited amounts of bulky trash (like furniture, water heaters and appliances) will be collected at the curb on your regular collection day. The amount should not exceed the capacity of a 1/2 ton pickup truck.
- Appliances that contain Freon (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners) require special handling. You must pay a $10 fee for the safe removal of the Freon prior to pickup. Submit your fee to the City of Colonial Heights Treasurer’s Office. Put the receipt in a zip top bag and place it inside the appliance on the day of collection.
- Collection of large amounts of bulky material (or more than would fit into a pickup truck) must be arranged at least one day in advance. A fee may be charged. Collection may occur on a day that is different from your regular collection day. For questions about this service, contact the Trash Collection Hotline at 425-0500.
Holiday Collection Schedule
Trash will not be collected on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day